EDISON offers the rare opportunity to own a true one-of-a-kind, fiberglass, U.S.-built, aircraft-inspired, proven world cruiser.
Her original, build, the owner was the visionary engineer and aerospace aficionado, David Cuckler, from Monticello, Iowa. He designed the yacht with assistance from Jack Sarin and Tim Nolan. Cuckler had decades of offshore sailing experience and piloting jets all over the world, with details from these experiences evident in the design of his second, and final, custom-built yacht, now known as EDISON.
EDISON has traveled all over the world under various ownerships, spending time in recent years in South Florida, the Caribbean, and New England.
Maintained today to the highest of standards by a very experienced yachtsman since he purchased the vessel in 2017, EDISON offers the true opportunity to experience a reliable, safe, and comfortable global adventure, if so desired. If staying within the distance of the white, sandy beaches of the Bahamas is more to your liking, she can easily anchor in shallow anchorages or find comfort at the dock of your favorite marina.United Yacht Sales is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Northrop and Johnson. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey direct representation of a particular vessel
Caterpillar 3406B Cylinder Diesels
13000 HRS 540 HP
Num of Engines
EDISON offers the rare opportunity to own a truly one-of-a-kind, fiberglass, U.S. built, proven world cruiser.
Built as HAWKEYE III, the original build owner was a visionary engineer and aerospace afficianado, with decades of offshore sailing experience and piloting jets all over the world. Details from these experiences are evident in the design of his second, and final, custom built yacht, now known as EDISON, which he designed with assistance from naval architects Jack Sarin and Tim Nolan.
EDISON has traveled all over the world under various ownerships, spending time in recent years in South Florida, the Bahamas, Caribbean, and New England.
Maintained today to the highest of standards by a very experienced yachtsman, EDISON offers the true opportunity to own a reliable, safe, and comfortable, long-range cruising yacht, ready for a global adventure, if so desired. If staying within sight of white, sandy beaches is more to your liking, EDISON can easily anchor in shallow anchorages or find comfort at the dock of your favorite marina.
1. Uniquely designed, custom built, engineering marvel at the time of her christening on February 3, 1990 as HAWKEYE III.
2. She was the first fiberglass yacht built in the U.S. with a bulbous bow, without a helm wheel, and she was the first U.S. yacht built with oval, stainless-steel railings.
3. Extended range of 5000+ nautical miles provided by reliable and durable derated (2) x CAT3406B engines and (2) x Northern Lights 40 kW generators @1200RPM
4. She has cruised all over the world under various ownerships, with the exception of the Arctic Ocean.
5. Extensive refit period from 2014-2015 that included new Awlgrip and Seahawk paint, as well as \"long board\" refairing of her exterior surfaces; receipts and invoices available from this yard period- further details in listing. Under her current owner, she continues to see constant upgrades, including such items as new power transformers and a/c chiller plant.
6. Accommodations for up to 8 guests include an on-deck master as well as two lower cabins with double beds and single berths; all cabins feature updated en-suites that include glass showers and granite countertops.
7. Redundant and isolated systems aboard; machinery in engine room mounted on easy-to-access track system.
8. Massive refrigeration and storage areas available in the crew utility space, forward bosun\'s locker and aft lazarette.
9. Current owner is an extremely knowledgeable yachtsman who has owned and maintained over a dozen 100\' motor yachts throughout his life. He has owned EDISON since 2017.
10. Maintained and operated by a full-time crew of 4, who have excellent longevity and are intimately familiar with EDISON\'s systems.
11. Full walk-around decks on both levels.
12. Large crew area with large area, as well as a 7\' x 7\' workshop, crew galley and lounge. This space is comparable to a much larger, 120\'-130\' motor yacht crew area.
EDISON\'s master cabin is located furthest forward on the main deck and features a private en-suite bath with a glass shower, granite counters, updated vanity and sink, updated fixtures, updated flooring, and a large window. The cabin features two large windows, one on both port and starboard sides providing excellent natural light. A desk, two chests of drawers, large built-in bookshelves with 32\" deep cabinets on both sides of the bed, and floor-to-ceiling hanging his and hers closets with additional deep storage, round-out the space. The cabin also features a Smart TV and entertainment systems, a/c controls, as well as a wind gauge and barometer.
Two additional guest cabins are located on the lower deck aft, accessed via a staircase in the main salon with rope lighting for safety. These cabins both feature a double bed and 30\" wide single berth and private en-suites, updated with the same finishes as the master bath. Two portholes in both cabins (there is a porthole located in the escape hatch of each cabin) and one porthole in each bathroom provide excellent natural light. Plentiful drawer storage, bookshelves, a lighted dressing table/desk, large floor-to-ceiling hanging closets, individual a/c controls, Smart TV\'s and entertainment systems, round out these cabins.
Generators & Electricity
Main Galley Equipment
Crew Galley/Mess Equipment
EDISON features one of the best crew areas on a boat of this size, comfortably accommodating up to 5 crew in 3 cabins.
The crew area is accessed via a staircase forward of the galley and aft of the master cabin. The stairwell is \"open\", giving the 7\' x 7\' utility space with ceiling heights of 6\'10\" a spacious feeling, with natural light flooding the space from the port side entrance and portholes.
The utility space is home to a full-length True Freezer and True Refrigerator as well as a Cooper \"walk-in\" refrigerator. Additionally, there is a stacked washer and dryer and two large pantry/storage closets. A separate engineer\'s workshop is adjacent to this space and features a large workbench, mounted vice, storage, and toolbox.
The double berth Captain\'s cabin is forward of the engineer\'s workshop and features a private dressing area and en-suite. An open-minded buyer could use this cabin as a 4th guest stateroom if desired.
Forward of the Captain\'s cabin and through another door is the crew mess, crew galley, and two additional crew cabins.
The crew mess and galley feature a spacious table with seating on both sides, a porthole, and alarm panels to monitor the boat\'s systems.
Forward of the crew mess and through a watertight door are the remaining crew cabins: a double bunk berth with vanity and sink and a single berth cabin located to starboard, also with a sink and vanity. Both cabins have portholes and there is an escape hatch in the double bunk berth. These two cabins share a separate full bath located on the port side, just outside the doors to these cabins.
Prior to her current owner, EDISON was owned by the same family for 10 years as SERENITY II.
From 2014 - 2015, these owners embarked on an extensive refit at Lauderdale Marine Center in Fort Lauderdale of mechanical and cosmetic nature at a cost of over $1,240,000. At the time of sale when she became EDISON, the receipts were provided and are available to her next owners.
Details of the 2014-2015 Refit:
In 2017, SERENITY II was purchased by the current owner, becoming EDISON. The boat continues to undergo ongoing upgrades and a rigid maintenance schedule.
Several new or rebuilt upgrades include:
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.